The night between the 31st October and 1st November is getting closer and it’s not just children who are getting excited about celebrating Halloween. The most frightening night of the year is also one of the longest. How can you enjoy it to its fullest? The answer is by drinking a cup of student’s coffee.
It’s perfect for staying awake because it’s made from a strong double dose of coffee. In Italy it takes its name from its most popular consumers, the university students who drink it to get through long sleepless nights of studying in preparation for important exams.
A good dose of caffeine can also be perfect for celebrating Halloween. Whether it’s dinner with friends, fancy dress parties, horror film marathons or simply bar hopping, a cup of university-style coffee will prepare you for celebrating witching night.
How to make student’s coffee
Fancy trying it but don’t know how to make it? No problem! Making student’s coffee is extremely simple. Start by following the basic instructions for making the quintessential black drink:
- fill the bottom of your moka coffee pot with water;
- insert the filter and fill it with your favourite blend of ground coffee;
- close the pot by screwing on the upper part;
- place it on a lit hob. Once the coffee has come through pour it into a cup.
- now rinse out the coffee pot and fill the bottom with the coffee you’ve just made, instead of with water. This is the secret to a double dose of coffee;
- fill the filter again with ground coffee and follow the final steps. The coffee that comes out this time is student’s coffee and you’re all set to enjoy the long night of Halloween!
Benefits of a double dose of coffee
The main benefit of this particular drink is the same as the reason people consume it: it improves attention span and the ability to concentrate, helping you stay awake for longer.
It also boosts and strengthens the normal nutritional components of coffee. A double dose of coffee affects the body in the following ways:
- heart rate increases;
- blood vessels expand;
- breathing accelerates;
- the number of neural impulses increases.
Student’s coffee: side effects
Admittedly, the idea that one small cup of student’s coffee can keep you awake all night is a bit of a myth. You don’t need to worry about serious side effects if you only drink it very occasionally (so it’s probably best to wait for Halloween next year to make it again!).
On the other hand a caffeine bomb like this might of course have some side effects:
- stomach ache;
- increased heart rate;
With All Saints eve just around the corner, we also have an alternative recipe, which is older and more established but equally effective at giving you an injection of caffeine. Find out how to make Turkish coffee.
To avoid turning into a zombie it might be better to choose a cup of 100% organic Arabic coffee for moka, available in pods and capsules: black as night but not as strong, more pleasant and above all with fewer “scary” side-effects.