Coffee-flavoured custard is a tasty new take on its classic cousin. The ideal filling for tarts, cakes and any other kind of treat, it can also be enjoyed on its own as a delicious dessert to savour with a spoon at the end of a meal, perhaps sprinkled with some chocolate and a few walnuts: a delicious, creamy dessert.
Coffee-flavoured custard recipe
Many of those with a passion for cakes not only love eating them but also relish in making them too. So, budding pastry chefs take note! Always wondered how to make the perfect coffee-flavoured custard for filling a variety of different cakes? Look no further! It’s time to roll up your sleeves and hit the hob…
Ingredients for 400 gr of cream
- 4 egg yolks;
- 500 ml milk;
- 60 ml espresso coffee (about 2 coffee cups), which can either be made in a mocha pot with a blend of ground coffee or with an espresso machine, using coffee capsules or pods;
- 150 gr sugar;
- 50 gr “00” or plain flour.
How to make coffee-flavoured custard
- Start with the coffee. If you make it with a mocha pot, here’s how to make an exceptional espresso!
- Boil the milk and beat the yolks with the sugar in the meantime.
- Mix the beaten yolks with half of the milk and add the flour.
- Now add the other half of the milk, continuing to carefully stir the mixture with a whisk.
- Leave to cook until it thickens.
Once it’s ready, pour it into a glass dish: your coffee-flavoured custard is ready!
Recipe for egg-free coffee-flavoured custard
Looking for a lighter alternative? No problem! Here’s how to make egg-free coffee-flavoured custard.
- 500 ml milk;
- 60 ml espresso coffee. If you make it using the Caffè Aiello blends, your custard will definitely be tastier, we promise!
- 100 gr sugar (cane sugar, if you prefer it);
- 70 gr “00” or plain flour.
- Make the coffee and boil the milk.
- Mix the flour and sugar together in a small pot.
- Pour in the hot milk, carefully mixing everything with a whisk.
- Once the cream is smooth and even, add the coffee.
- Cook the cream, taking it off the heat once it starts to thicken.
Now your egg-free coffee-flavoured custard is ready, too. But don’t abandon the hob just yet, there’s one other recipe for you to try, which is perfect for a tasty breakfast or mid-afternoon snack: here’s how to make a delicious coffee cake.