For those who sometimes wish to try something different from traditional espresso, perhaps something a bit sweeter and more decadent, hazelnut coffee is an excellent choice. But what is it?
Hazelnut coffee is a speciality from Campania which originated in the province of Salerno in the 1990s, a decade in which the region’s tourism and culture developed greatly. In just a short time this coffee became a true speciality, so much so that it’s now one of the favourite coffee specialities in Naples.
The pairing is as simple as it is innovative: a mousse of toasted hazelnuts is added to espresso or to coffee prepared in a moka. This mousse sweetens the entire cup and enhances the natural toasty flavour of the coffee.
How do you make Hazelnut coffee?
Today this kind of coffee is readily found in most Italian coffee bars, even though the best is still in Naples. Nevertheless, with just a few little tricks it can be easily prepared at home too.
- 40 grams of toasted and peeled hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp of powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
- Aiello espresso or moka blend
- The first thing to do is to prepare the hazelnut paste. Put the toasted and peeled hazelnuts in a blender. Turn it on and continue to blend until the hazelnuts begin to release their oils. At this point add the powdered sugar;
- When the paste is ready it’s time to create the mousse. Heat the whipped cream and then add it to the hazelnut paste. Mix it until everything is well blended, then put it in the refrigerator to cool;
- In the meantime prepare the coffee. We recommend espresso, but coffee prepared in a moka is also fine.
- When the coffee is ready put two teaspoons of the hazelnut mousse in a small glass and pour the coffee over it. Now all that’s left is to stir it and enjoy!
Would you like to experience the unique and toasty flavour of this coffee? Try it with our blends for an unforgettable aroma!