Crema di caffè, or coffee cream, also known in Italy as caffè del nonno, or grandpa’s coffee, is a tasty variation of the classic hot beverage. A must in summer because it is served cold, but also a delicious all-year-round dessert, with a mousse-like taste and texture.
In every version, it is one of the favourite recipes of coffee drinkers of all ages, including the young fans of Generation Z who religiously follow the latest trends in the world of coffee. If you love drinking it at the bar, making it at home can also be a mouth-watering experience to savour.
How to make crema di caffè: the recipe
This is the real challenge: how can we make a crema di caffè at home that tastes just as good as the one from the bar? Let’s discover together a recipe that is easy to make, perfect also for tantalising your guests’ taste buds and impressing them without too much effort.
Ingredients for crema di caffè
Ingredients for 4 small portions of caffè del nonno:
- 2 small cups of espresso coffee, made with a full-bodied, intense blend to enhance the flavour of the crema di caffè. If using a moka pot, the ideal blend is Latina ground coffee, otherwise, you can also use Intenso compatible capsules or Classica blend pods.
- 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- 300 ml of fresh cream (it must be dairy and not plant-based, to ensure that the flavour of the coffee remains intact and avoid ruining the end result.).
Preparation of crema di caffè
- Start by making a perfect coffee using a moka pot or any other system you prefer.
- Add sugar to the coffee and leave it to cool in the fridge.
- Next whip the fresh cream using an electric whisk. Once it is fairly creamy, pour the coffee in slowly, while continuing to whip the cream.
- Now all you have to do is leave the crema di caffè in the fridge to cool for up to two days, or keep it in the freezer and take it out about 10 minutes before serving. For the perfect finishing touch, decorate it with unsweetened cocoa powder or coffee beans. Now you can savour a delicious home-made crema di caffè… just like the one from the bar!
Home-made caffè del nonno in a bottle
There is also a shortcut, ideal for those who want to make caffè del nonno, but don’t want to use a whisk.
It takes less time to make than to explain: all you have to do is mix the cold coffee, sugar and cold cream from the fridge in a glass bottle and shake it for 5 minutes. And hey presto! Your crema di caffè in a bottle is ready to drink!
Caffè del nonno with a twist: hazelnut cream
If cream is not enough to meet your desire for a tasty, self-indulgent treat, we have the perfect twist for you: caffè del nonno with hazelnut cream. There’s nothing simpler: when preparing the coffee, just add a few teaspoons of hazelnut cream, stirring it well to dissolve it while the drink is still hot. The ultimate in self-pampering!
Love losing yourself in little tasty treats? Don’t miss the traditional German coffee specialities: each one is even tastier than the other!