Let’s face it, in summer a tasty cold dessert is exactly what you need to cool down at the end of a meal, or when your sweet tooth calls out for a snack. Those who love the taste of espresso can choose from many delicious desserts such as coffee semifreddo, cheesecake for coffee lovers and tiramisu with no caffeine, also suitable for children, to name but a few. Another grand classic on a hot summer’s day is coffee affogato, always a favourite not only because it is easy and quick to make, but because it’s scrumptious too. And it is also perfect if you have unexpected guests. In fact, who can say no to a treat with all the goodness of ice-cream and all the taste of espresso?
Ingredients for coffee affogato
- 2 scoops ice-cream.
- An espresso cup of unsweetened espresso coffee. For a tasty coffee affogato, we recommend a very aromatic blend like the Super Blend for moka or the 100% Organic Arabica compatible capsules.
- Whipped cream.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder to taste.
- Chocolate chips to taste.
How to make coffee affogato
- Make the coffee with the moka pot or with the espresso machine and, once ready, leave to cool a little until lukewarm.
- While the coffee maker is on the hob, put the ice-cream in the glasses.
- Pour the coffee over the ice-cream.
- Decorate with the whipped cream, unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips before serving.
Coffee affogato: which flavour of ice-cream is best?
For a perfect coffee affogato, it is not only essential to choose high quality coffee blends, but also to match them with the most suitable flavour of ice-cream capable of complementing the flavour of the espresso. Which flavour should you choose? Let’s look at a few alternatives:
- Vanilla ice-cream. The classic pairing, for those who like to play it safe.
- Fiordilatte ice-cream (creamy milk ice-cream). Another traditional taste, perfect for pairing with coffee.
- Hazelnut ice-cream. It’s a well-known fact: the roasted flavour of this nut goes hand-in-hand with espresso, as in hazelnut coffee, an exquisite Neapolitan speciality.
- Cream ice-cream. Another classic, but this time even sweeter and richer.
- Coconut ice-cream. A delicious match, which can also be alcoholic if you add a small glass of coffee liqueur.
- Almond ice-cream. A sophisticated pairing, favoured by the most refined palates.
Instead, one thing to steer clear of is coffee ice-cream because matching two elements with the same flavour is not a good idea. If you can’t decide which flavour to choose for your coffee affogato, we have the solution for you: try them all out! Easy, right? And if you don’t have many ingredients or the time to make a dessert, find out how to make water-based coffee mousse: an irresistible spoon dessert that’s super-simple to make.