A ritual that repeats itself every morning. Cappuccino with maybe a brioche or a croissant: this is the classic breakfast at the bar for many Italians, which has now become well and truly part of our tradition. But how do you make a cappuccino with the perfect froth in the comfort of your own home? Let’s find out together by looking at the most popular methods for creating a soft, creamy foam, just like the one served at the bar.
It might surprise you, but there’s no need to use a professional machine to prepare a delicious milky coffee. However, it is very important to choose the right ingredients: this is why we’re using them as our starting point.
Homemade cappuccino: ingredients
- 125 ml of whole milk. For a cappuccino with perfect foam, it is definitely better to avoid skimmed or semi-skimmed milk.
- A cup of espresso coffee (about 30-50 ml) made with coffee grounds, capsules or even pods
Homemade cappuccino made with a whisk
- Heat the milk, taking care not to bring it to the boil.
- Whip the milk with a standard electric hand whisk.
- Pour the coffee, followed by the foam, into a cappuccino cup.
Homemade cappuccino made with a blender
- Heat the milk in a small pot.
- Pour into a blender.
- Switch the blender on for a few minutes. After a short pause, blend for another couple of minutes. When the milk has formed a thick, frothy cream, the foam is ready for your homemade cappuccino.
- Pour the coffee, followed by the milk, into a big cup, then add the sugar and – the icing on the cake! – decorate with a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
Homemade cappuccino made in a jar
- The easiest way to make a homemade cappuccino. Start by heating the milk in the microwave.
- Then pour into a jar and stir quickly with a ladle for less than a minute.
- The foam is already taking shape, right? Now heat in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Pour the coffee, and then the milk, into the cup and add some sugar: your favourite frothy beverage is now ready to be enjoyed!
How to tell when the foam is perfect
There is a fool-proof method for telling when you have the perfect foam. Add some sugar! If it sinks into the foam, leaving it compact, this means you have a first class froth!
Now that you know how to make a homemade frothy cappuccino, if you’re hooked on this drink you simply must try the latest trend: read on to find out more about matcha latte cappuccino and how to make it at home.