Perfect in the morning for starting the day with bags of taste and energy, but always delicious at any time: morning, noon or night. We’re talking about soft coffee cake, the ideal treat for a scrumptious breakfast that can be considered complete if we enjoy it with a glass of milk or a yogurt.
If you don’t feel the need to have your breakfast at the bar and prefer to savour it at home, try making this easy recipe, or the chocolate version, chosen especially for you: a sweet way to start your day, guaranteed!
Easy coffee cake
Not crazy about baking? This is the perfect recipe for you: a cake you can make easily and quickly, then sit back and enjoy.
- 280 gr “00” flour (plain or self-raising flour);
- 3 strong espresso coffees made with ground coffee or capsules;
- 2 medium eggs;
- 100 ml groundnut oil;
- 140 ml milk;
- 1 sachet of baking powder if using plain flour;
- 200 gr sugar.
How to make the easy coffee cake
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl with an electric whisk. When the mixture is quite light and frothy, add the flour, milk, coffee and groundnut oil.
- Mix well and add the baking powder if using plain flour.
- When the ingredients have been mixed well, pour into a 22 cm diameter cake tin.
- Put the tin in the oven preheated to 180° and bake for about 40 minutes. Cooking times may vary depending on the oven so always test the cake with a toothpick to check whether it is baked: if the toothpick comes out clean and dry, the cake is ready.
- Take the cake out of the oven, leave to cool for a few minutes, sprinkle with icing sugar and your easy coffee cake is ready!
Coffee and chocolate cake
Fancy something even sweeter? The coffee and chocolate cake is perfect for you and will make breakfast time even more fun. This is how you make it!
- 120 gr sugar;
- 150 gr dark chocolate;
- 2 strong espresso coffees made with ground coffee for moka pots or coffee in capsule;
- 40 gr ground almonds;
- 40 gr butter;
- 10 gr corn starch;
- 4 eggs;
- approx. 15 ml milk.
How to make the coffee and chocolate cake
- Break the dark chocolate into pieces then melt it with the butter in a bain marie. While the chocolate is still on the heat, pour in the freshly-made coffee.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar then add the almonds, corn starch, dark chocolate and milk.
- Now it’s time for the egg whites: whisk until stiff and add to the mixture, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into a 22 cm diameter baking tin, already greased.
- Put the tin in the oven preheated to 175° and bake for about 30 minutes, again checking the cake with the toothpick method.
- When the coffee and chocolate cake is ready, leave to cool, decorate with icing sugar and… bon appetit!
If you crave an even tastier breakfast, discover a kind of espresso that is particularly delicious and unique: here is how to make a crema di caffè that is just as good as the one you find at the bar.