Easy, handy and it makes delicious espresso: many people prefer making coffee with a Nespresso machine, using either original single-portion capsules, or compatible capsules. But what should we do with them once they’ve been used? Here’s an idea: why not try your hand at creative recycling? In our tutorial, we show you how to create little pendants using Nespresso capsules, a better alternative than disposing of them in the waste collection, even if recycled properly. Ready to model our jewels?
Pendants made with coffee capsules: materials required
- At least 4 or 5 coffee capsules.
- Super-transparent Bostik glue.
- Heavy hammer.
- Chopping board.
- A pair of scissors.
- A small circular-shaped object to place in the centre.
How to make pendants with Nespresso capsules
- Our tutorial that illustrates how to make homemade jewellery with Nespresso capsules begins with the phase that involves washing the used capsules. This should be done once you’ve removed the coffee grounds, which you can reuse in many other ways, such as, for example, to fertilise plants.
- On a smooth, even surface (we used a chopping board), squash the capsules by striking them with the hammer.
- Now let’s prepare the back of the pendant. Cut a piece of wire and wind it into a circle to create the loop for hanging the pendant on. Place it on the capsule.
- Now take another squashed capsule and, using the scissors, cut the outermost circle. Apply some glue between the back of the pendant with the wire and this one. With the pliers, hold it fast for at least ten seconds.
- Repeat the same action with another 3 or 4 capsules, cutting increasingly larger circles on the exterior to obtain different sizes of capsules. Then use glue to attach each capsule to the pendant, from the largest to the smallest, always holding them fast with the pliers for about ten seconds. Before attaching them, remember to bend them slightly with the pliers to create a slight wavy effect.
- Having attached the smallest capsule, you can now apply the small circular-shaped object to the centre. It could be a button, a bead, or anything else of your choice. Attach it with the glue, exactly the same way as you did with the capsules.
How did your pendant turn out? If DIY is your favourite hobby, find out how to make necklaces with coffee capsules: now that you know how to make pendants with Nespresso capsules, you could create your own personal collection of craft jewellery, mixing and matching the different kinds to create your own personal style.