There are not many successful winter plants, but if you want to be sure of choosing one that will thrive indoors opt for cactuses, which are always excellent at withstanding heat and, with some loving care, at resisting the cold too. They are full of water, so be careful not to expose them to low temperatures as they will freeze and then spoil when the temperature goes up again.
We have already seen how to sow plants using coffee capsules. However, this time we’ll see how to reuse coffee capsules to grow pretty little cactuses.
Coffee capsules as mini cactus pots
With used coffee capsules, you can create a mini garden at home, both by placing them in a terrarium and in various spots around the house, so using them as mini plant pots.
Cactuses thrive particularly well when grown this way, given their resistance and their ability to reproduce through cuttings. You may need to make a few attempts before the cuttings will take, as is also the case with bigger pots, but when it works, the result will be amazing and you’ll feel proud of yourself.
How to reuse coffee capsules as cactus planters
Proceed as follows:
– take about a dozen small cactus cuttings, place them on a paper towel and leave them in a dry place in the shade;
– wait from three to five days until the cut part has grown its own protective film;
– prepare a dozen coffee capsules by washing them and drying them well;
– make three small holes on the bottom and add a few grains of desalinated sand to the capsules;
– add some damp soil, almost filling them to the top;
– add the cutting, inserting the cut part into the soil with a gentle push;
– wait until your plants grow roots, then repot them wherever you want. Never water the soil.
Two fun ideas for your capsule planters
Once your cactuses have come to life, you can stick a small magnet to the side of the capsules using strong glue. Then, stick them on your fridge door to make it look more attractive and fun!
Or why not use one or more rows of cactuses in capsules to decorate your windows and window ledges. By arranging the small plants near other, bigger ones, you’ll obtain a very special look.
Reusing used capsules sets the imagination loose and before long you’ll want to try out a variety of new ideas; for example, discover how to use capsules to create beautiful pendants or, since Christmas is just around the corner, how to make Christmas decorations with used capsules.